Monday, March 26, 2012

Back to Polymer Clay!

I was very busy in the run up to Mother's Day teaching the children at my local pre-school to make beads out of polymer clay.  I was amazed at how quickly they all picked it up and it really was lovely to see how much they all enjoyed making the beads.  There were so many proud faces when I gave them back their 'cooked' beads.  Also my own little boy was very happy to share Mum with his friends and tell them I make beads.  My very own little advertiser! 

We used the beads to make each Mum a special necklace for Mother's Day.  Here are just a few .....


I must say a big thank you to the lovely ladies at pre-school for helping us make the beads.  We helped 40+ children to make the beads and necklaces and thank you for the lovely 'thank you' card!

Chris Pellows wrote a very interesting blog called I am not Creative! (Please have a read she is brilliant blogger).  Chris wrote about how she believes that everyone is born creative and I have to say I completely support this theory too.  I think if you look at the beads in the picture above and the beads I posted in my first ever blog post (Teaching Polymer Clay.) you can't help but agree.  Every bead made by the children was an individual piece of art and I am very proud to be a part of this.

I would have to say that my main craft is lampwork beads but I do like to dabble in polymer clay.  It was my sister who introduced me to FIMO when we were children.  She used to make little animals that were dotted all around the house and made me a beautiful butterfly keyring one year for my birthday.  I still have it tucked away nice and safe in my jewellery box.

I used to try and make jewellery but didn't have a clue how to make anything 'interesting'.  Also I couldn't for the life of me get my beads round.  It used to drive me crazy.  It wasn't until my husband and I met Penny Vingoe (Clayaround) at a trade fair that my interest was re-kindled.  She showed us how to make a simple cane out of clay and that was it!  We came away with quite a few packets of clay in lots of colours, a few cutters, rollers and many more goodies.  We spent the weekend sat at the dining room table making canes and pendants for our daughter.  It was good fun!

Since then I have discovered a whole new world of beads, polymer clay beads, and some amazing clay artists.  I have briefly mentioned Chris Pellows (Chris Pellow Designs) who makes really beautiful beads.  It is worth checking out her shop and following her blog.  She is a really inspirational writer and I love reading all her new blogs. 

I have to mention Cara Jane Polymer ClayI am in total awe of her work.  She makes the most beautiful beads and jewellery and has a wealth of advice/tutorials and links on her website.  Cara Jane was the first polymer clay artist I started following and I have learnt so much.   If you follow the link you are sure to be as addicted as I am.

Finally, I had a go at following a tutorial on the internet by another clever polymer clay lady called Missi Claus on You Tube.  She shows you step by step how to make flower canes, bracelets, millifiori canes and is definitely worth a visit.  Here is my version of her bracelet ....

I have quite a bit of work to do but I really did enjoy making this and am going to have a go at making many many more.....

Sarah xx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hypersmash.com